Chemicals and Nutrients for Your Brain
It is quite normal for people who are smitten with anxiety disorders to resort to prescription medication. The problem with these drugs, however, it that they do not cure the real cause of the problem, only the symptoms. Anti-anxiety medication often provoke dislike from people who have used them for some time. The reason is because people who have been taking anti-anxiety medication suffer also from their side effects, not to mention the thought that they are not really getting any better.
It is helpful for everybody, whether or not you suffer from anxiety and stress, to know that there are alternatives to drugs. Here are some foods and drinks that can help you fight anxiety.
1) Stress can be relieved by a warm cup of Chamomile tea. Chamomile tea can calm and relax your mind, and soothe your thoughts. Chamomile tea can help you rest during those nights when you have trouble sleeping. The sedative components in the tea brings you to a relaxed frame of mind.
2) Turkey contains a substance called tryptophan that can trick your mind in feeling more calm and relaxed. Tryptophan is a precursor to serotonin which is related to the cure of many anxiety disorders. When consumed in meat form, it has been discovered that tryptophan helps reduce anxiety.
3) Improve your mental and psychological health by consuming avocado. They contain potassium, a chemical substance that lowers blood pressure. It can help you prevent anxiety-induced heart attack by keeping your heart rate steady.
4) The health and well-being of your brain can be improved by eating lots of green leafy vegetables and hemp oil. Stress and anxiety can be brought to a manageable level with these foods. A crucial player in brain-adrenal axis balance is magnesium, which is found in green leafy vegetables.
5) Dark chocolate calms you. Dark chocolate can induce calmness and relieve stress more than milk chocolate and white chocolate, because the latter has much more added sugar, milk, and saturated fats which are unhealthy.
6) Research has shown that aside from its other health benefits turmeric can help ease symptoms of depression and anxiety. Turmeric has many healthy properties like anti-inflammatory, healing, and maintaining blood sugar balance.
7) One of the substances that reduce the incidence of anxiety is folic acid. Asparagus contains folic acid, a chemical responsible for improving the health of your brain’s neurotransmitters. What often causes anxiety and stress is a lowering of folic acid in the body.
8) Organ meats such as liver are also rich in vitamin B. Serotonin production is done by methylation which requires sufficient amount of vitamin B in the body.
9) Your brain needs zinc to stay healthy, and oysters contain a lot of zinc. Deficiency in zinc causes anxiety.
10) Your gut needs to be healthy for your brain to be healthy. Probiotics, such as kefir can help keep the balance of bacteria in your stomach.